It is back to school time and for many families that means busy mornings. There is barely enough time to get everyone out the door on time and no time left to eat, let alone make a good healthy breakfast! The old saying goes that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but for most of us eating a nutritious breakfast is easier said than done. Although cereal can be a good stand by option I want to share a few of my favorite quick and easy breakfast ideas for you to use this year (even if you don’t have kids to get to school).
- Dinner for Breakfast! Make your breakfast the night before. I like to put my breakfast aside when I am putting dinner away the night before. That way it is ready when things are so busy the next morning. I love to eat dinner for breakfast! Heating up dinner left overs is the easiest breakfast option in my opinion. However, if you are like my husband and you think that is weird and gross, it is easy to cook breakfast foods and wrap them in individual servings to heat up the next morning.
- Burritos! Since we live in New Mexico breakfast burritos are one of our favorite morning foods. They are easy to make simply scramble an egg, add some shredded cheese, chili, and some bacon or sausage and throw it all into a tortilla. I love to use Keller’s all natural hickory smoked bacon or green chili sausage because they are low in sodium and don’t have any added chemicals. They are literally just meat and spices! Burritos are easy to set aside the night before, they can be wrapped in paper and microwaved on the way out the door. Since they only require one hand, they can easily be eaten in the car. If you are too busy to make them, Keller’s has premade burritos available in our deli.
- Breakfast Sandwiches! Again these are super easy for morning! Make them the night before (that way you only have to clean the kitchen once) wrap them up, microwave them in the morning, and eat them in the car. Get a bagel or a biscuit, a slice of cheese (I use cheddar) and a patty of sausage. My favorite is Keller’s green chili sausage but I also love to use turkey cranberry apple. My husband always adds hot sauce. Or for another twist use Keller’s link sausage, a slice of cheese and wrap it in a tortilla. It’s an easy breakfast wrap.
- Baking Bacon! I love bacon (just like most people), but I hate the mess that bacon makes on the stove. So I bake it in the oven. There is way less mess (it doesn’t splatter) and you can cook way more at a time. Just lay it flat on a baking sheet and bake it at 350 until it is the desired crispiness. As an added bonus you can eat as much as you want because Keller’s bacon is low in sodium and doesn’t have chemical dyes, or flavorings. It is just meat and brown sugar smoked over a real hickory fire.
- Spice Up Your Eggs! Scrambled eggs may be the easiest and fastest breakfast food but they can become a little boring after a while. Spice them up! I love to add salsa or green chili (you can also use red). Just use it instead of milk when you scramble them. They can be eaten alone or put in a breakfast burrito or sandwich. This week at Keller’s you can get a dozen eggs for FREE with a $35 purchase. You can’t get eggs that are any fresher unless you have your own chickens at home.
I hope that you have a wonderful year. There is something very special about the new beginnings that accompany the return to school. Comment below to let me know if you use any of these tricks or if you have secrets of your own that make breakfast a little easier at your house.